The NS Harrisburg East territory operates on AAR Channel 050 - 160.8600 MHz. This stream provides single channel, wide area coverage. It does not scan. See "Feed Notes" for some interesting information about this stream.
This stream is brought to you by
The Harrisburg Chapter - National Railway Historical Society.
Help support this stream and support our education, restoration and preservation activities
by making a tax deductible donation at
Welcome to the NS Harrisburg East Railroad Dispatcher stream!
If You See Something, Say Something!
Railroad enthusiasts can provide many additional pairs of eyes and ears to keep our railroads safe. You can help!
Report problems such as track obstructions, trespassers, vehicles stalled on the tracks, possible mechanical issues with moving trains, malfunctioning crossing protection, suspicious activity or other security issues. Contact the NS Railroad Police at 800-453-2530 or call 911.
About this Stream
This stream is provided under the auspices of the Harrisburg Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society in conjunction with The Central Pennsylvania Repeater Association amateur radio club, South Mountain Communications, Inc. and Broadcastify.com as a service to the railfan community.
For more information about these groups, please visit our websites at:
Special thanks go to:
- Brian Auker - N3JYD
- Gary Blacksmith - WA3CPO
- Kevin Maglouglin - KA0JQO
- Dan Rapak - WA3ATV
- and Jeff Vinton - W2JSV for their efforts in making this feed possible.
The NS Harrisburg East territory is a major link in Norfolk Southern’s east-west railroad. The Reading, PA area is a nexus where trains from the port facilities in the Northern New Jersey / New York area merge with traffic from the Philadelphia area making this a very busy territory.
The radio frequency is AAR Channel 050 - 160.8600 MHz.
This stream provides single channel, wide area coverage. It does not scan. Radio signals are received from Signal 341 / 342 east of Pottstown to BURKE interlocking at milepost HP 104.2 in the west and to BLANDON interlocking at milepost RV 7.5 in the north.
The NS Harrisburg East desk covers the following rail lines:
- The Harrisburg Line from PHOENIX interlocking at milepost HP 27.5 near Phoenixville, PA to BURKE interlocking at milepost HP 104.2 near Hummelstown, PA.
- The Reading Line from WYOMISSING JUNCTION at milepost HP 61.2 / TW 9.4 at Wyomissing, PA to BLANDON interlocking at milepost RV 7.5 / TK 0.0 at Blandon, PA.
- The Pottsville Branch
- The Cornwall Industrial Track (what’s left of it)
- The Evansville Industrial Track
- The Pottstown Industrial Track
- The Reading Industrial Track
- The Richmond Street Industrial Track
- The Spruce Street Industrial Track
- The 11th Street Industrial Track
This desk also dispatches the southern portion of the NS Buffalo Line. However, that line is not within radio reception range of this feed.
Activity of note includes:
- Traffic in and out of Reading Yard between BELT interlocking and OLEY interlocking.
- Interchange traffic with the Reading, Blue Mountain & Northern Railroad through BELT interlocking to Reading Yard.
- Work at Dyer’s Quarry on the Harrisburg Line Main Track (the “Turkey Path”) at Milepost GV 16.5.
- PRL’s Lancaster & Northern exercising trackage rights between their connection to the NS Harrisburg Line at Sinking Springs (between WYOMISSING JCT and DORF interlocking on Track 2) and Reading Yard for interchange.
- Work at the PPC ethanol terminal at Sinking Springs, also between WYOMISSING JCT and DORF interlocking on Track 2.
- Work by the “Hershey Shifter” moving cars between the various plants of Hershey Foods by way of several hand crossovers and hand switches between BURKE interlocking and MILLARDS interlocking.
- You may also hear the NS Harrisburg Terminal Dispatcher on this frequency giving required verbal authorizations for trains to enter the Rutherford Industrial Track at BEAVER interlocking (only 0.8 mile west of the division post at BURKE interlocking.)
Defect Detectors heard on this feed include:
- MP 34.5 - DE, HB
- MP 46.9 - DE, HB
- MP 56.0 - HC (TITUS interlocking)
- MP 60.9 - HC (WYOMISSING JCT)
- MP 63.5 - DE, HB
- MP 79.8 - DE, HB
- MP 90.5 - DE, HB
- MP 103.3 - DE, HB, HW (BURKE inerlocking)
- MP 105.0 - HC (BEAVER interlocking - Thorofare Track and Rutherford Siding, eastbound only)
- MP 61.3 - HC (BELT interlocking.)
Also heard on this stream are some of the yard operations at Allentown Yard and Abrams Yard which use the same radio channel.
Adjacent Territory: The Harrisburg Chapter of the NRHS also maintains a radio stream of the NS Harrisburg Terminal Dispatcher. This is the next territory to the west of the Harrisburg East Desk and compliments this feed. It is also available on Broadcastify at:
ATCS Monitor: The territory covered by this stream is also well covered by our companion "NS Harrisburg Division" ATCS monitoring kit available on the ATCS Monitor Yahoo Group. By joining the group, you can download the program at:
After joining, the NS Harrisburg Division monitoring kit can then be downloaded at:
TrainMon5: Successor to ATCS Monitor, TrainMon5 does not require the installation of any software as it runs on any browser and any platform that supports a browser. This includes both Windows and Apple computers as well as both Android and iPhone smart phones. You need to establish an account to access the data.at:
Key locations on this territory are very well documented in
“The Railfan’s Guide for Google Earth” available for download at:
Again, you need to join the Yahoo group to download the file. Note that this is a large file and may take some time to load in Google Earth.
Harrisburg Chapter - National Railway Historical Society